It’s extremely rare for me not to be listening to music when I’m writing. I often have dedicated playlists for each of my protagonists, plus usually at least two “master” playlists, one more upbeat and the other more angsty, so as to fit the mood of the scene I’m writing appropriately.
Today I thought it might be fun to share some of the songs I kept going back to while I was writing Next Stop Love. A lot of these songs aren’t tied so much to a specific moment in the book as some aspect of either Julian’s or Beatrice’s personality. So it’s even spoiler-free!
The (highly condensed) Next Stop Love Playlist:
- “Maybe” – Janis Joplin
- “Carry on Wayward Son” – Kansas
- “Somebody to Love” – Jefferson Airplane
- “커튼 Curtain” – SUHO, Youngjoo Song
- “I Feel the Earth Move” – Carole King
- “King Midas in Reverse” – The Hollies
- “Changes” – Davie Bowie
- “Who I Am Hates Who I’ve Been” – Relient K
- “Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)” – Janis Joplin
- “Come On-A My House” – Rosemary Clooney
- “You Make Loving Fun” – Fleetwood Mac
- “Bus Stop” – The Hollies
I sometimes get a strong sense of what kinds of music a character likes, and sometimes I have no idea. With Beatrice, I knew she really liked 70’s music, particularly women powerhouses like Janis Joplin. “Maybe” still might be the song that reminds me of Beatrice the most.
I didn’t have quite as strong a sense of musical preferences on Julian’s side of things. His playlists tended to be populated with songs that tended toward self-destruction. The two big songs that make me think of Julian are “Curtain” and “Who I Am Hates Who I’ve Been.”
Enjoy your weekend, and I’ll see you tomorrow!